![]() |
| Before |
| Cellar |
She would need proper 24/7 care that I could and can NOT provide, as I am chronically ill myself, and I have to pace myself.
| Storage room |
Things begin to unfold the way they should, but very slowly, and it takes a lot of adjustment on all sides! We will continue to observe, and do what's best for her.
| Bedroom |
| Dining room |
In the meantime I had to cancel her renting contract, give away furniture, throw away things, have the apartment of hers renovated, and finally scrub and wash and clean out every tiny thing, until ultimately I could turn in the keys yesterday. Not without conflicts with her former landlady, who refused to pay back rent money, and so on and so forth.
| Kitchen |
Coming to think about this whole ordeal, it dawned on me, that this is somehow as if she's passed away already, and it's the last 'service' on earth that I would do for her, although that isn't so!
But climbing up ladders, or falling on my knees to scrub off every itsy bit of paint from mouldings, or skid marks from floors, smoke stains from cabinets, dirt from tiles... it was like praying to a certain extent. It felt like saying goodbye to my mother with my every move. I am not sure if the decisions I made were in her interest. I do not know if it was okay for her that I gave away certain things, or threw away this or that, or kept memorabilia of our family in my home... At times I felt like bursting into tears, because I could not ask her anymore. She just doesn't recall.
At the beginning of this she insisted that her home (now) is a lot prettier than her last one. I kept her informed as of what we were doing, like painting today, or cleaning tomorrow, or handing over the keys. She seemed interested, and acted as if she knew what I was talking about, but... do I really know? She forgot about it the very next five minutes anyways.
My mother always used to be a person who loved to move into new places. Once she even remarked that it is nice moving, and have others care about it all, like the renovation and the paperwork, or even carrying the furniture for her.
I made sure we could take a lot of her stuff with her over there. And it's a cozy room now, that she calls her new home. I'm still afraid of giving the place the name 'home' as it has the flair of a graveyard in my country. It's called a 'senior citizen place'... as if that would change anything. Some people still believe that you get rid of your family members when you don't wanna care for them anymore, and place them in a 'home', but that isn't so. So far I have more work than before, and I see her more often, and I care for her a lot more than I did when she lived in her own apartment. I only feel sorry for those who don't have family that looks after them on a regular basis. Some residents there seem really lost.
![]() |
| Her old bed |
My mom feels comfy, though. So I needn't worry. But, it feels as if it was the work people do when their parents die. At least, when she'll die one day, there's no work left for me to do anymore. It's just a couple of belongings in her room left now, most I will be able to gift or give away, or even throw out. That should be done in less than half a day or so.
So all of this makes me feel sad. I'm in mourning, somehow. I had to say goodbye to my mom, to her past, to my memories, little by little, as she doesn't remember a thing anymore. *sigh*
Sorry for this has gotten a bit melancholic, but that's just how I feel at the moment. My mother is 79 now, turning 80 this year, and all I tell her about herself, and her life is like the lastest news for her. So sad to grow old, and having forgotten everything. That you led a good life, yeah that you HAD a life. Once. And now every decision is made for you by somebody else.
![]() |
| Garden and smoker area |
![]() |
| Bathroom |
For all of you and your families, I pray that this illness will never strike in your lives or in the lives of your family members, as it is hard to bear, and hard, hard work. I am happy for every moment she recalls my name, and who I am, and our memories together.
Stay happy and healthy my dear friends! Take care.
![]() |
| After |

.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
i read it and was brought to tears,. tried to leave comments but as usual, the gadget didn't work. so i will try again later. love to all
ReplyDeleteAwh, thank you. I didn't mean to make you tear up, hun. It was just my feeling that it is mourning 'work' I'm doing. Looking forward to your comment, if not, leave it on FB and I'll copy it over there. Thanks for paying attention and taking the time. Hugs from here. :)
DeleteThe read was somewhat sad for me and I completely understand your feelings. I can see how you felt as if you were saying goodbye. But it's a "Hello" to a new beginning that is definitely in her best interest. Her new place is beautiful and I'm certain it's nice to have others around on a 24/7 basis. I can't believe her Landlord gave you such a hard time considering the circumstances. You left the place immaculate! I can't imagine the time, effort and work you had to put into the entire ordeal, given your own situation. It must have been hard deciding what to keep and so on, but it had to be done and someone had to do it. Knowing you, I'm sure you made all the right decisions and I, personally, would trust you with that task if you were doing that for me. Her new place is beautiful and I'm sure she is comfortable there. And although she might not understand everything that has taken place or be able to verbalize her feelings, I feel that deep in her mind she is grateful for everything you have done in providing for her comfort and safety. Well done Gina.. You should be proud and happy about all your decisions and efforts. And most comforting is that all your hard work to get Mom to this point is complete. I applaud you considering the circumstances of your own health and the care and thoughtfulness you have provided for your Mom's well being. Much love.. Bugzy <3
ReplyDeleteAwh, why thank you, Bugzy! <3 Yep indeed, I couldn't've put it better, at least that were my intentions behind all of this. I always thought twice about it, and if I would like it if this decision would've been made for me. It's still a learning process for all of us, to get along with all the nurses and caretakers, as they act in her best interest as well... plus I know her best, so I can sense what she would like even when she's running out of words, or says something 'crooked' ;-) Eventhough her soul has been lost a long time ago, I can sense her comfort and security. It is as if she would still have a partner, that would look after her during the night, and point her into the right direction. I hope her dementia will worsen in the slowest pace possible. Thank you for liking both places, and saying that I handed it over spick and span, because that's how I feel about it. I couldn't have done it without the help of both Peters, my friend, and my daughter, and still it was a two-month-process. So glad it's done and over with. Wish me luck on the finances to be cleared next week, too! Thank you for taking the time of reading and responding. *sigh* Wish you'd live closer. A second opinion would've been great during the process. ;-) Much re- <3
DeleteShe is blessed to have you as a daughter. I am sorry that you have to go through this. You are a blessing and God will reward you. Her places then and now is beautiful thanks to you. This brought tears to my eyes my friend. Lots of love and prayers
ReplyDeleteAwh, I didn't mean to write it so you would tear up. I felt it was what I had to do for my mom, as she selflessly provided for me all these years. It wasn't her choice to become ill and lose all her memories and independence. *sigh* I'm also not doing it to get a reward. She's just so... helpless. Glad that you aprove of both places! Thank you, dear. <3
DeleteRead that through. My heart is with you. I commented but my comment didn't appear.
ReplyDeleteI hope you'll try again, K. Not sure why some have problems in posting comments. :(
DeleteThis was really sad to read, indeed. In my opinion, her new surroundings are even prettier. She'll always be a 70-something to me. I really like that picture of her laughing :)
ReplyDelete...and it was probably you who made her laugh! :) Thank you for commenting, and your opinion, dear. :-* <3
DeleteI enjoyed the cards so much <3. Thank you. And your blog post was very powerful!
ReplyDeleteThank you, dear. All written straight from the heart. I hope there were no mistakes in either one of them? ;-) <3
DeleteIch kann dir deine Emotionen gut nachempfinden. Vor allem das Ausraeumen. Das war fuer mich auch schlimm. Meine Schwester hatte zwar die Wohnung schon ausgeraeumt und aufgeloest als ich im Oktober zur Beerdigung kam, aber sie hatte noch die Kartons gelagert (30 Stueck) mit "Gruscht", der noch durchzusortieren war. Da hat's mich auch ganz schoen gepackt. Ich hab einen Koffer voll und drei grosse Kartons von den Sachen mitgenommen. Eigentlich nix was grossen Wert hat, aber halt alles total sentimentale Sachen. Seitdem, raeume ich bei mir daheim systematsich aus. Man hebt viel zuviel auf. Ich sehe jetzt auch meine Sachen irgendwie mit anderen Augen.
ReplyDeleteMeine Oma hatte Alzheimer und ich kann mich erinneren wie schlimm es war mit anzusehen wie sie zunehmend mehr und mehr ihr Gedaechtnis verlor. Das ist bestimmt ganz grausam fuer dich. Und trotzdem kannst du nichts machen um die Krankheit aufzuhalten. Ich hoffe sie finden bald eine Heilung fuer diese grausame Krankheit. Bis dahin wuensche ich dir viel Kraft!!! Du bist eine starke Frau, in meinen Augen sowieso eine Superfrau und ich weiss du schaffst das. Aber das soll nicht heissen, dass dir das deswegen nicht auch an die Nieren geht. Ich denk ganz fest an dich!!! Drueckerle, Gaby xoxo
Danke, jetzt brech ich hier glatt noch in Tränen aus Gaby. Ist grad ganz schlimm mit meiner Mam. Gestern ist sie in der Eiseskälte mit den dünnsten Klamotten schon wieder für eine Stunde ausgebüchst. Die Polizei und der Sanka haben sie zurückgebracht. Die Windelhose war seit Tagen nicht gewechselt und sie hatte Schmerzen, scheint über den Gehwagen gefallen zu sein. Heute ist sie schon wieder weggelaufen, aber sie haben sie noch vor der Türe erwischt. Jetzt liegt sie mit Schmerzen im Bett. Trägt ihr Korsett und nimmt Schmerzmittel, aber so richtig helfen kann man ihr nicht. Hoffe sie rufen heute Nacht nicht noch den Notarzt, weil Krankenhaus wäre das Schlimmste mit Demenz! Drück mir die Daumen, ich wünsche ihr dass die Schmerzen nachlassen und sie wieder 'normal verwirrt' sein kann. Ich könnte die Krankenschwester erwürgen durch deren Schuld das schon wieder passieren konnte. Bin am Ende. Meine arme Mam. :'( Zur Krönung bin ich dann gestern auch noch auf einer Eisscholle ausgerutscht und habe mir alles Mögliche und Unmögliche gestaucht, einschließlich Po. *yeah* Lieber Gott, laß es meiner Mutter schnell wieder besser gehen!
DeleteAch Regina, das tut mir aber echt leid, dass grad alles auf dich zukommt. Das duerfte aber auch echt nicht sein, dass deine Mama immer wieder auskommt. Das waere in den USA unvorstellbar! Die wuerden das Heim von oben bis unten verklagen. Eine gute Freundin von mir hat ihre Mama auch im Heim mit Alzheimer, jetzt schon seit ueber 5 Jahren. Die ist noch nie abgehauen (sie ist im Labyinthos). Da hast du ja wirklich nie Ruhe, wenn du dich nicht drauf verlassen kannst, dass sie dort in guten Haenden ist. Aber so wie ich dich kenne, hast du bestimmt vorher recherchiert und nach verschiedenen Moeglichkeiten geschaut. Ich weiss das ist alles nicht so einfach. Und so schlimm wenn man einfach hilflos zuschauen muss. Ich hab da auch meinen emotionalen "rollercoaster ride" hinter mir. Zum Schluss wenn ich dann immer kurz vorm Verzweifeln war oder bin, je nachdem welche Schuldgefuehle mich plagen, dann muss ich's einfach in Gottes Hand geben. Weisst du, ich bin kein so ein "bible thumper" wie man sie hier kennt, ich hatte aber schon immer eine gute Dosis Gottvertrauen in mir (hat mir meine Mama beigebracht). Und wenn gar nix mehr geht, wenn ich alles gemacht habe, das irgendwie von mir aus moeglich ist, dann bete ich. Du sprichst am Ende deines Paragraphs auch vom lieben Gott. Gib's fuer heute mal an ihn weiter und vertrau, dass er einen Plan hat. Und ich sag heute dann auch ein extra Gebet fuer dich und deine Mama und hoffentlich gibt's bald wieder bessere Nachrichten. Lass dich nochmal fest druecken!!!
Delete